Ways to find part-time jobs
Do you want to make use of your leisure hours doing something constructive? Would you like to brush on your skills or develop some new ones? Do you want some extra bucks to support your family? If the answer to these questions is yes then a part-time job is perhaps the best option for you. These jobs are not as taxing as full-time ones and provide you flexibility together with the joy of being financially independent.
There are plenty of part-time jobs available and that too in a variety of fields like sales, information technology and publishing, among others. Most part timers interviewed agrees that word of mouth is a good way to land a suitable position. However you can very well try out some other avenues. Here are some tips to help you find such an opportunity.
• Part-time jobs are available in supermarkets, fast food joints, hair salons etc. When you visit such places look for any hiring advertisements that they might have displayed. Alternatively you can talk to the store manager and ask him if there is any such opportunity.
• If you are living in an apartment you can start working from there itself. Talk to neighbors if they are looking for somebody to give tuitions to their kids or if any working couple needs help for babysitting. You can even provide swimming, aerobics, singing or dance coaching to anybody who is interested.
• Another way of finding a part-time job is doing some research on the internet. There are a number of websites dedicated for such purpose and they are sure to prove useful to you. Newspaper advertisements and boards displaying such an opportunity in your locality can also be helpful.
• You can also approach your prospective employer with a well crafted resume directly. Even if his organization is not hiring presently he may recommend you to somebody he knows. Remember employers most often do not look for highly qualified people as part timers. So no matter what your education may be just walk in and speak to the concerned person confidently. Also you may not be having relevant work experience. If you have been into home making for all these years include that in your resume. Highlight everything that you learnt from this experience.
• Cold calling can prove to be a useful means of landing that part-time opportunity. Cold calling basically involves calling your future employer (whom you naturally do not know) and enquiring about any job opportunity and pushing your candidature for the same position.
So if you wish to take up a part-time job just follow these simple tips. Have confidence in yourself and success will be yours.
- Ranjita Chattopadhyay (views expressed in the article are that of the author)
Also Check: Other Paycheck Articles